Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Books, books, everywhere books...

In honor of Madeline L'Engle, a young adult author and one of my favorites during my adolescence, I choose only books by her to put on my Library Thing shelf.

I was, and remain, a huge fan of her work and she'll be sorely missed.

Another reason that I chose to put her books on my shelf is that when I was younger, every summer my summer project was to create a catalog of all the books we owned. I did it by hand and never got more than a third of the way through the thousands of books in our house, so I'd resume the task the next year.

If Library Thing had been around at that time, I think I would have been able to actually have a working catalog of the books we owned, rather than a dozen half-finished ones.

Another use for this site is for smaller libraries to catalog their collections. For example, the LGBT Center here at OU has used Library Thing to catalog their collection of LBGT-related books. For a smaller organization like this, Library Thing is the perfect, easily accessible solution.

No comments: