Tuesday, September 11, 2007

No really, it's easy

I've dabbled in RSS prior to this exercise, I keep track of several blogs and other websites and news streams related to my own interests. I know one professor who has an RSS feed that alerts her anytime some one does a search on a specific topic or if a new website is identified by google as being related to that topic. For some one who's doing scholarly research and trying to stay up to date on research on somewhat obscure subjects--this is a fantastic tool.

For my library RSS, like most people, I subscribed to Unshelved as well as The Invisible Library.

I really enjoy blogging and I find RSS feeds and the ability to keep track of what other people are doing personally and professionally to be a really neat and potentially inspiring thing. The problem for me is time. I barely have enough time to keep track of myself and having something else, even if it's just 114 google feeds that I haven't browsed yet, hanging over my head adds unnecessary and unwanted stress.

The good thing about it is that if I manage not to worry myself about it and I do have some spare time, I don't have to go hunt down the sites or blogs that I found interesting, I can just pop into my google reader and be done with it.

Like everything in this hurry-scurry world, it's a matter of time, priorities and effort.

No comments: