Monday, September 17, 2007

The Future is Coming...

I was absolutely fascinated by the Library 2.0 reading. Not only by the thoughts and opinions expressed, but also the visions that the different writers expressed.

I was enchanted by Wendy Schultz's article. Her description of Library 4.0, a world where libraries function "as mind gyms; libraries as idea labs; libraries as art salons" was particularly compelling. I've always loved libraries, I've always been at home in libraries, but I would *love* to see these libraries.

I must confess that I also found her vision of Library 3.0 funny and refreshing as well: "People will collect librarians rather than books—the ability not just to organise, but also to annotate and compare books and other information sources, from a variety of useful perspectives." I have definitely run across librarians in my time who were more likely to hush me and wave vaguely toward a stack of books than they were to ask me if I needed help. A world where the experience of the librarian and the user's experience with that librarian had a visible and determinable effect would be fascinating.

I know that opinion will not be shared by all, but there is something to be said for judging the ability of a librarian by their effectiveness to and with the user instead of measuring their static knowledge of their field. After all, the point is to transmit or at least share the knowledge with the user. If that isn't happening then librarians are merely custodians of knowledge, doling it out to the worthy, not distributors, bringing knowledge to people and people to the knowledge--showing them how to manipulate it.

I think Library 2.0 is honestly about this dynamic. Are librarians the custodians or are they benevolent teachers? In a perfect Library 2.0 scenario librarians become the distributors of knowledge, freely giving and sending it to whomever requests it.

What a fascinating and exciting time to be part of librarianship!

No comments: